Items that may be donated are food stuffs: factory sealed, no more than two years outdated. We also accept fresh, clean fruits and vegetables. We CANNOT accept home-produced goods, plastic bags or egg cartons. Download a list of items mosts needed.
• Drop off at Food Bank when open
• Leave in the drop box outside the Food Bank left entrance any time
• Collection boxes at Orcas Island Senior Center, Orcas Post Office, Deer Harbor Post Office, Key Bank
We thought you would like to know how the slow-cooker classes went that we told you about on the "news" page. The classes were presented for three consecutive weeks that ended on March 15. The three recipes presented were Island Stew, Tuna Noodle Casserole, and Black Beans and Rice. Bonus recipes were also distributed and the reception was warm and curious.
Twelve enthusiastic participants committed to the classes which qualified them to receive free slow-cookers. Classes were held one-half hour prior to the Tuesday lunch for two weeks and included slow-cooker care and operation, safety and sanitation, basic cooking skills, and creative, nutritious and economical use of simple ingredients. Recipes were created using ingredients typically available at the Food Bank.
Those who completed the required instruction were given a free slow-cooker and smiles were ear to ear. They agreed to return the cookers to the Food Bank, however, should they find that they are not being used.
Following the last class, an informal verbal survey of luncheon guests was taken and there was unanimous agreement that the classes should continue. A repeat of the 3-demo + class model will be scheduled in the Fall.
Our kudos and thanks to he participating members of the Madrona Club: Louise Boone, Leith Templin, Edith Thomsen, Amy Cole and Marcia Spees.
• A New Way to Give! You can now donate regularly through the Orcas Island Community Foundation (OICF) using your credit card! All you need to do is call OICF at 360.376.6423 and tell them you wish to set up recurring credit card donations to the Food Bank.
• Send checks payable to Orcas Island Food Bank to PO Box 424, Eastsound, WA 98245
• Donation jars at Ray's Pharmacy, Country Corner, Orcas Village Store
Madrona Club's Classes Were A Hit!
Volunteers are the backbone of getting things done! The Orcas Island Food Bank loves to talk to folks willing to help distribute food to its clients on Tuesday afternoons from 12:30 to 2 p.m. and Thursday evenings from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. If this sounds like something you would like to do, just pick up the phone and call Maggie Kaplan at 376-5372.
If you would like to look into
serving on our Board, contact
the Food Bank at 360.376.4445 or